Thursday, October 5, 2017

Yay, time to plant and the weather is perfect

The weather is warming up, actually a little warmer than expected, and my blocks are finally dry enough to dig. I am exhausted after spending much of the day with the rotary hoe, and planting. After doing nothing for the past three months or so even a little bit of physical work is very tiring.

It feels so nice to get out and actually get things done, and the weather is looking so nice that I decided to plant my corn a month early. As long as the temps keep up it will be nice to be able to harvest the ripe ears without having to race the mould causing dampness and cool of autumn.

I managed to plant 5 x 40m rows of oca as well as a couple of rows of arracacha.

I hope the oca flowers this year as I really want to harvest seed. It didn't last year and it flowers at different times each year. Not sure why, probably has to do with the temps or humidity.

I think I may have lost all my yacon because of the swampy conditions. It is a shame as I had some new seedlings, which are very rare. If any do survive I will have to start overwintering them in pots rather than in the ground.




I will be very busy in the next two weeks as I have a lot more to plant this year than last. My cucurbits will all go in this week but I might hold off another couple of weeks for the stuff that likes warmer conditions like beans, eggplant, okra and sorghum.

I still have a lot of digging to go but it will get done quickly now that I can walk on the ground.



1 comment:

  1. I hope a very good season for you. Here in the Northern hemisphere is Autumn and we picked up almost all the vegetables in the garden. It was a good harvest this year. I wish you the same.

    ReplyDelete