Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Nearly planting time, yay

Finally, the nights are starting to warm up and we won't have many frosts to go. I have a few trays of cucurbits ready to plant and in a couple of weeks I will start sowing most of my other seeds.


 I had forgotten how wet our winters and early spring gets after the years of drought, so I am going to have to rethink my planting. Everything is still too wet to walk on and most of the plants I have in are rotting.
I think I will have to stop trying to grow biennials that have to go through the winter like carrots and brassicas - here is a pic of red Brussels sprouts rotting in the mud.

It is going to reduce my planned income but can't be helped.

My native mountain pepper bushes are still holding onto their berries so I harvested them to put in packets. The have more fruit on them than ever before and I am thinking of putting in a couple of rows just to sell the leaves and dried berries to local restaurants. At least they do well in the cold and wet - though they grow best under shade so that is an extra expense.



From now on I will be posting more updates because I will be busy working. It is always hard having to sit on my hands over the cold months.









No comments:

Post a Comment